Here are some helpful tips and tools shared by top fundraisers across the state to make your fundraising efforts more successful than ever. Choose the ones that suit you best. Be creative and have fun!
- Set a fundraising goal for yourself
- Collect pledges online using your own personal web page that can be set up through the National MS Society, Michigan Chapter. It is quick, easy, and fun to create! Start by sponsoring yourself.
- Make a list of people to ask. Ask anyone and everyone. Most will be happy to assist you in your honorable endeavor. Those to ask include: co-workers, friends, family, neighbors, people from your place of worship.
- Ask businesses you frequent often to sponsor you (examples: barbershop, bookstore, coffee shop, dry cleaners, or restaurant).
- Put a face with the disease. If you have a personal connection, explain how MS has affected your life, and how your efforts will help others cope with the devastating effects of MS.
- Send personalized letters asking for donations, and personalized thank you notes when you receive donations.
- Ask others to help you collect pledges. Give a pledge sheet to your spouse or other family members.
- Think of creative and fun ways to get others involved (ie: host a party, have a bake sale, etc. )
- Ask your employer for a company contribution. Many companies will match what their employees raise. See the corporate donations and matching gifts section below.
- Ask other businesses or companies you work with to sponsor you.
- Post a pledge sheet at work with a personal story on why you are participating.
- Organize a dress down day at work in exchange for donations.
Corporate Donations and Matching Gifts
When you are creating a list of people to ask for donations, do not forget corporate donations. Think about the different companies you deal with on a daily basis (including the one you work for) and consider them as possible contributors. Companies and people that you do business with on a regular basis are great prospects to start with. View a list of companies that have matching gift programs.
Many companies have a matching gift program for employees who make charitable contributions. All company-matching gifts count towards your fundraising total! Matching gift programs vary from company to company. There are often minimum and maximum donation levels, and the matching level also varies. To learn more information about your employer’s matching gift program and policies, contact your human resources department.